Stroke Home > Plavix Overdose
Because an overdose of Plavix (clopidogrel bisulfate) increases your risk of dangerous internal bleeding, seek immediate medical care if you think you may have taken too much. With this type of overdose, a platelet blood transfusion may be required to restore the blood's ability to clot. Based on the results of animal studies, other possible overdose signs include vomiting and difficulty breathing.
Can You Take Too Much Plavix?Plavix® (clopidogrel bisulfate) is a prescription antiplatelet medication used to prevent harmful blood clots from forming in people who have had a recent heart attack, stroke, or severe chest pain requiring hospitalization. The specific effects of an overdose with Plavix can vary, depending on a number of factors, including the dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances. An overdose may increase the risk of dangerous bleeding.
Symptoms of an OverdoseEven at normal doses, Plavix may increase the risk of bleeding in any individual. Thus, an overdose may result in severe bleeding, even dangerous internal bleeding.
- Black, tarry stools; bright-red blood in the stool; or vomiting of blood (signs of gastrointestinal bleeding)
- Difficulty breathing
- Decreased movement.