Treatment Tips for Omega-3 Fatty Acids
Considerations for people taking omega-3 fatty acids include the following:
- Since the manufacturing of supplements such as omega-3 fatty acids is not closely regulated, it is important to choose a trustworthy manufacturer for your supplements. It is a good idea to look for the "USP" symbol, since this means that the supplement has been tested and contains the right ingredients in the right amounts.
- Some fish (and, therefore, some omega-3 supplements derived from fish) contain heavy metals and other toxins. Often, omega-3 fatty acid supplements are purified in order to remove these toxins. Make sure to choose an omega-3 fatty acid supplement from a reputable manufacturer. Your pharmacist can help you choose a good supplement.
- Some people find that storing their fish oil omega-3 fatty acid supplement in the freezer helps prevent some of the bothersome side effects of fish oil, such as a fishy aftertaste. This may also prevent fish oil supplements from becoming rancid.
- If you have any chronic health problems or take any prescription medications, you should check with your healthcare provider before taking omega-3 fatty acids.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or omega-3 fatty acids dosing in general, please talk with your healthcare provider.