Side Effects of Prasugrel
In clinical trials, some of the bothersome prasugrel side effects included back pain, high blood pressure, and nausea, among others. Prasugrel affects the blood's ability to form clots, so it also has the potential to cause serious side effects related to bleeding. Let your healthcare provider know right away if you develop any unusual bruising, blood in the stool, or nosebleeds.
Just like any medicine, prasugrel (Effient®) can cause side effects. And as with most drugs that affect the blood's ability to form clots, prasugrel can cause potentially serious problems, mostly related to the risk of bleeding.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible prasugrel side effects. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list with you.)
As mentioned, some side effects with prasugrel are potentially serious and should be reported immediately to your healthcare provider. These include but are not limited to:
- Signs of bleeding, such as:
- Unusual bruising (bruises that develop without known cause or grow in size)
- Blood in the urine
- Blood in the stool (usually seen as red or black stools)
- Bleeding gums
- Bleeding from cuts that takes a long time to stop
- Menstrual bleeding or vaginal bleeding that is heavier than normal
- Coughing up blood
- Low blood pressure
- Vomiting blood or material that looks like coffee grounds
- Signs of thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura, such as:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, such as:
- An unexplained rash
- Swelling of the mouth or throat
- Difficulty breathing.