Important Information on Strokes
SummaryKey information about the effects of a stroke includes the following:
- Although stroke is a disease of the brain, it can affect the entire body. The specific stroke effects will depend on what part of the brain is affected.
- A stroke may cause paralysis (or problems with movement) and sensory disturbances (including pain).
- A stroke may cause problems with thinking, awareness, attention, learning, judgment, and memory.
- Stroke survivors often have problems understanding or forming speech.
- A stroke can lead to emotional problems. Stroke patients may have difficulty controlling their emotions or may express inappropriate emotions.
- Many stroke patients experience depression.
- Approximately 14 percent of stroke survivors experience a second stroke in the first year following a stroke.